Monday, October 25, 2010

The Car Lift - going up?




I had to drive to a building downtown and parking was very difficult to find. I drove through the "car park" once and found nothing, went back in again (was charged twice) and then followed signs that said "to car lift". I thought that maybe it was a ramp to go up to some higher levels. But no it was a car ELEVATOR! Hmmm.

By the time I realized what this was, I was already in the "car lift queue" and there were 2 cars in front of me and about 5 cars behind me. I sat in the queue (every waiting line in Singapore is called a queue). So I watched intently what the other cars were doing so I could do the same and not hold anyone up. Apparently you pull up to a certain spot and then wait for a green light, then that means you can enter the car lift, or car elevator.

When you pull in, there is a sign in front of you that tells you to turn off your car engine (I didn't even think about that). Then immediately out your driver's side window are the buttons, just like on an elevator. The buttons tell you where there are available parking spots, you ride up to your level, drive out, and park. (sigh - I did it)

Then, when it's time to go, there is a special parking place that you back in to that faces the car lift, you wait until the lift gets to your floor, the other car comes out, then you get a green light and get back in the car lift to exit. Very interesting. I was very proud of myself for not having a panic attack in the car lift, especially because I had no idea what I was getting in to before I was trapped in the car lift queue.

No comments:

Post a Comment