Friday, October 1, 2010

We're in Singapore!


We have arrived! We are feeling some of the affects of jet lag (i.e. the children waking up at 3:00 am, 4:00 am the next day, and 5:00 am today). We struggle to stay awake each night, but so far are enjoying the new adventure.

Seth was very proud of himself for trying new foods. He said, "I'm doing a very good job of trying new foods, mom." To which I said, "yes, you have eaten KFC and Pizza Hut very well." After about 24 hours in the country Eli said, "I'm getting used to Singapore." That's great! The kids keep looking for monkeys in the trees and we have decided not to tell them about the lizard we saw crawling up the wall in our dining room.

Yesterday I went grocery shopping for the first time in Singapore. I put my dollar coin in the shopping cart to release it and then went about my business. I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw - I can really get most of what I want, just at a premium price and in much smaller quantities. I had $300 Sing dollars worth of groceries and found out that when you get that many groceries you are supposed to park in the basement of the mall and you can take your shopping cart down to your car. Well I did not know that and parked on the 4th floor because that's all the parking I could find. So they had to call for a "trolley boy" to roll my shopping cart through the entire mall and take it to my car. He stood at the door while I ran the grocery bags to my car and then took the "trolley" back to the store. Lesson learned.

Driving on the opposite side of the road is a bit of a challenge. It's kind of fun really. Mark keeps drifting in the other lane, but I'm sure we'll both get used to it.

By the way, everyone does NOT speak English. You can get by, but many locals do not speak any English and they have no idea what you are trying to say. A few other tidbits - you don't insert your card into the ATM machine - you dip it. You don't stand in line - you get in the "queue". It's really convenient that most restaurants have "photo menus" - all you have to do it point to the picture of the food you want. Very nice.

I will now do my best to attach some photos of our vacation and first few days in Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment